Wm. Kent Brandon, born in Carbondale, Illinois, has strong connections to Southern Illinois. A Senior Partner at Brandon, Schmidt & Montgomery, Mr. Brandon practices insurance defense, litigation, workers’ compensation, and personal injury law. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Southern Illinois University and earned his Juris Doctorate degree from Northwestern University School of Law.
Mr. Brandon has attained the highest possible rating from Martindale Hubbell, the national directory of attorneys, demonstrating preeminent legal ability and the highest standard of ethics. He is a former U.S. Magistrate of the Eastern District of Illinois, and is the author of “Magistrate Practice in Civil Matters,” which was published in the Federal Civil Practice.
Mr. Brandon is admitted to practice in all state courts of Illinois, the U.S. District of the Southern District of Illinois, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 1964
- B.A., Southern Illinois University, 1961
- U.S. Magistrate, Eastern District of Illinois, 1971-75
Honors & Awards
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Author, “Magistrate Practice in Civil Matters,” Federal Civil Practice, 1974
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Jackson County Bar Association
- President, 1975
- Secretary, 1965-66
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Judicature Society
- Mediation Association of Southern Illinois
- American College of Trial Lawyers
Personal Injury Cases
The following are personal injury cases tried to verdict in which Wm. Kent Brandon represented the Defendant during the last few years:
- 2005 – Jackson County: Auto accident – Plaintiff was passenger in vehicle which ran red light striking our insured. Defense verdict.
- 2007 – Jackson County: Auto accident – Plaintiff and insured backing out of parking spaces at medical clinic when they struck each other. Defense verdict.
- 2010 – Williamson County: Auto accident – Plaintiff was making a left turn into a driveway. The insured crested top of the hill. Plaintiff was in insured’s lane of traffic. Plaintiff had double knee replacement. Defense verdict
- 2011 – Williamson County: Auto/pedestrian accident. Plaintiff (pedestrian) was leaving a tavern and walks into path of Defendant vehicle. Defense verdict
- 2012 – Alexander County: Legal malpractice case – underlying action was wrongful death of a minor. Defense verdict.
- 2012 – Franklin County: Legal malpractice case – underlying action was Worker’s Comp claim based upon failure to call up for hearing Motion to Reinstate. Verdict for Plaintiff $39,689 which was amount testified by Defendant’s expert.
- 2015 – Jackson County: Uninsured motorist collision – tried previously as an arbitration case and got not guilty verdict in arbitration. Defense verdict
- 2019 – Williamson County: 3-car accident – verdict for Plaintiff 20% against insured and 80% against co-Defendant.
Brandon, Schmidt & MontgomeryAddress
916 West Main Street
P.O. Box 3898
Carbondale, Illinois 62901, USPhoneFax